For COVID-19 Eviction Diversion, click here
The Texas Emergency Rental Assistance Program (TERAP)
Administered by the Harris County Community Services Department
In an effort to lessen COVID-19’s economic impacts, the TERAP program will provide assistance to renters who are at risk of eviction by providing up to six months of rental assistance. Payments will be made directly to property owners or management companies. Eligible applicants will receive assistance for at least one month of rental payments going forward and up to five months of arrears, for up to a total of six months. Any rental assistance going forward must be for consecutive months.
HOW TO APPLY
Verify property is in Harris County Service Area.
The Landlord will need to submit documentation enrolling their property. Apply here.
Review the Landlord Program Agreement.
Submit requirement program documents.
The tenant will need to submit tenant documentation to determine eligibility.
Apply here – select TERAP program from the dropdown box.
Tenants will be notified of selection for processing.
If your application is approved, landlord confirms the amount of past due rent.
Tenant and landlord are notified of the pledged rental assistance amount.
Rental payment(s) will be sent directly to the landlord or property owner.
NEED ASSISTANCE COMPLETING THE REQUIRED DOCUMENTS? CLICK HERE FOR THE TENANT VIDEO TUTORIAL (Select Help Video).
NEED APPLICATION ASSISTANCE?
TO BE ELIGIBLE, RENTERS MUST:
- Rent an apartment, townhome, condominium or house in the Harris County Service area
- Have a valid and current written lease signed by the landlord. If no written lease, required certification proving tenancy
- Household has been financially affected by COVID-19 pandemic
- Household income below 80% of Area Median Income (AMI – See AMI chart below)
NOT ELIGIBLE IF:
- Currently reside in public housing
- Receive other governmental rental assistance (Section 8/Housing Choice Vouchers, Permanent Supportive Housing or Section 811)
INCOME ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS (80% AMI):
- 1 Person $44,350
- 2 Person $50,700
- 3 Person $57,050
- 4 Person $63,350
- 5 Person $68,450
- 6 Person $73,500
- 7 Person $78,600
- 8 Person $83,650
TO APPLY RENTERS WILL HAVE TO SUBMIT:
- Tenant application form completed
- Copy of executed or signed lease or if no written lease, required certification proving tenancy
- Income evidence of eligibility
- Personal ID or other method of ID (e.g. utility bill, voter registration form or school registration form)
You will be required to certify:
- No duplication of Benefits (you have not received rental assistance for the same months of rent and will not seek such assistance in the future for the covered months
- COVID-19 IMPACT: Your household has been economically impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic
LANDLORD & PROPERTY OWNERS
As the landlord, you are acknowledging that your tenant is applying for rental assistance through the Texas Emergency Rental Assistance Program. You are acknowledging that the funds provided are to go only toward rent payments for your tenant and any monies provided to you through this program beyond what is owed must be used towards future rent payments for your tenant.
For renters to participate, the landlord must:
- Accept the rental payment including reasonable late fees
- Not pursue eviction for non-payment while receiving rental assistance
Required Documents From Landlord:
- Completed IRS W-9 form
- Copy of the executed lease with the tenant or if no written lease, required certification proving tenancy and ability to provide proof of tenancy (e.g. cancelled check or money order)
- Documentation of Missed Payments (ledger, etc.)
- Landlord form completed
- Additional documentation is required. See checklist below.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How are applications processed?
Applicants must initiate the first step in the application process by completing the survey. Afterwards, the application will be reviewed for Harris County service area requirements. If the applicant is not in the service area, they will receive a notification. If the applicant is in the service area, they will be contacted by a screener to formerly begin the application process. After all required documents are submitted, eligibility will be determined. If approved, applicant will be contacted.
- Does my landlord have to be approved in order for me to receive assistance?
Yes, for the Texas Emergency Rental Assistance Program, the landlord must complete the Landlord Program Form in order for you to receive assistance.
- Is there a deadline to submit my application?
No there is no set deadline for application submissions. Applications will be accepted until all program funds are fully expended.
- Do renters who receive COVID-19 unemployment benefits qualify?
Yes, if you have experienced a loss or decrease in income due to COVID-19 and receive unemployment benefits, you may apply for emergency rental assistance.
- How long will it take for me to be contacted about my application?
After the first step in the application process is completed, we anticipate that contact will be made within 30 days.
- When can I expect to receive an eligibility determination?
Within 30 days of submitting all of the requirement documentation.