CARES ACT FUNDING EXPANSION (CAFE’)
Administered by the Harris County Community Services Department
In an effort to lessen COVID-19’s economic impacts, the CAFE’ program will provide assistance to renters who are at risk of eviction by providing up to six months of rental assistance. Payments will be made directly to property owners or management companies. Eligible applicants will receive assistance for at least one month of rental payments going forward and up to five months of arrears, for up to a total of six months. Any rental assistance going forward must be for consecutive months.
HOW DO I APPLY FOR RENTAL ASSISTANCE?
Click here to complete online
To Be Eligible, Renters or Homeowners Must:
- Rent an apartment, townhome, condominium or house in the Harris County Service area
- Homeowners must be on the mortgage
- Have a valid and current lease signed by the landlord
- The household has been financially affected by the COVID-19 pandemic
- Household income below 80% of Area Median Income (AMI – See AMI chart below)
NOT ELIGIBLE IF:
Currently reside in public housing
Receive other governmental rental assistance (Section 8/Housing Choice Vouchers, Permanent Support Housing or Section 811)